Veggie burgers are often loaded with excess carbohydrates – Not these puppies! Quite the opposite. Created by F-Factor fan, @SweetSweetCity this veggie burger recipe is #FFACTORAPPROVED!
Ingredients (Serves 8):
- 1 head cauliflower “riced”
- 8 GG fiber crackers, pulverized (pulsed in food processor) into sprinkles
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 pounds baby bell mushrooms, sliced thin
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 2 cans of chickpeas, drained well
- Remove leaves from cauliflower and cut into 6 pieces. Place in the food processor and grind until rice like. Remove and place in a clean dish towel. Squeeze to remove excess water. Place in a bowl on the side.
- In same food processor. Pulse GG crackers and keep on the side, separate from the vegetables you are about to prepare.
- In a large wok or skillet place 1 tsp olive oil on high heat and “fry” 1/3 of the mushrooms until crisp. Place aside in a large bowl. Repeat two more times until all mushrooms are sautéed – If you add all of them to the wok at once they will release water and your burgers will be mushy.
- In same wok add in the riced cauliflower. Cover for 5 minutes to steam. Uncover and sauté for an additional few minutes. Add to large bowl with mushrooms.
- Sauté zucchini and onions until onions are caramelized. The longer you sauté the deeper the flavor. Throw off any excess water from sauté pan. Remove from sautéed zucchini and onions from heat and add to the bowl with mushrooms and cauliflower.
- Add the drained chickpeas and herbs and spices to the bowl. Mix.
- Transfer 1/3 of mixture to a food processor and pulse until a paste forms. It’s fine if some chunks of some vegetables remain. Repeat with remaining mixture until all of mixture has been pulsed, so that everything gets mashed well.
- Fold in GG cracker crumbs into mixture. Chill batter for up to 24 hours with a paper towel on top to sop up any liquid.
- Scoop chilled batter with an ice cream scoop onto a tray and press down to make little burgers. Freeze on tray until frozen for later use or bake right away. To bake: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Let burgers unthaw on tray for 10 minutes. Spray with pam and Place on upper rack of oven for 15/20 minutes until evenly browned.
- Serve them in lettuce cups with a dot of hummus on top.
[box]Nutritional content per serving (serves 8): 242 calories, 11 g protein, 38 g carb, 14 g fiber (24 g net carb), 10 g sugar, 8 g fat[/box]