Rich and savory, with a cheesy waffle topper, this fiber-and-protein packed French Onion soup is the ultimate cold night comfort food.
INGREDIENTS (serves 8):
- 3 lbs yellow onions (~6 large or 12 small)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups red wine
- 8 cups sodium beef broth
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves, plus more for garnish (~1 tsp)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup fat free shredded mozzarella
- Peel onions and cut in half and slice lengthwise so you have long, thin strips. Set aside. Place a large pot over medium heat and add olive oil to heat. Once oil is heated, place onions in pot with 1 Tbsp salt and cook, stirring often, until they have softened and turned a dark golden brown, ~20 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for another 5 minutes, or until garlic has softened.
- Using a wooden spoon, deglaze pot by adding the red wine while scraping the bottom of the pot (this makes use of all of the cooked on flavors). Allow wine to cook down with the onions for 5 minutes.
- After wine has cooked down, add beef broth, 1 Tbsp thyme, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 1 hour.
- While soup simmers, make waffle “croutons” by combining the egg whites, 20/20 powder, olive oil, salt, and baking powder and whisk until well combined. Turn waffle maker on to heat and cook waffles according to manufacturers instructions (batter should yield 2 large waffles). Quarter each waffle so that you have 8 waffle quarters, or “croutons” for your soup servings.
- After 1 hour, remove from heat and allow to cool for 30 minutes. Using a ladle, transfer 1 cup of broth into a small bowl and whisk in 20/20 powder until well combined. Slowly stir broth mixture back into pot so it is evenly distributed throughout.
- Ladle soup into 8 oven-safe soup ramekins, and top each with 1 waffle quarter.
- Set oven to broil to heat. Top each waffle with 2 Tbsp of mozzarella cheese and place ramekins in oven to broil for 5 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown and the waffle is crisp. Top with remaining thyme for garnish.