Hamantashen may be the token Purim treat, but these jam-filled triangle cookies are a must-try year round. Recipe below details making your own jam filling, but feel free to sub in your favorite jams, jellies or other sweet fillings as desired. We recommend Polaner Sugar-Free Raspberry Preserves With Fiber.
INGREDIENTS (serves 12):
- 1/2 cup sugar-free fruit flavor jam of choice
- 1 cup raspberries (fresh or frozen), washed and chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp stevia, or other nonnutritive sweetener
- 1 Tbsp basil seeds (like Zen Basil Seeds)
- Line 1-2 baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, 20/20 powder, sea salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk coconut oil, almond milk, vanilla extract, and egg whites until well combined. Pour mixture into the medium bowl and fold until a dough forms. Cover bowl with saran wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. Dough should be pliable but not crumbly or stiff; add a little more almond milk, a teaspoon at a time, if too dry.
- While dough chills, prepare filling by adding chopped raspberries to a saucepan and placing over medium heat. Cook until raspberries break down, ~3-8 minutes (depending on if using fresh or frozen). Using the back of a spoon, a spatula or a potato masher, mash fruit to desired consistency.
- Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice and sweetener (adding 1-2 tsp of both if needed). Stir in basil seeds, 1 tsp at a time and set aside to cool and allow seeds to expand.
- After dough has chilled for an hour, remove from fridge and place on parchment paper. Place another piece of parchment paper atop dough and using a rolling pin, roll dough out to ~⅛ inch thickness.
- Using a 3 inch round cookie cutter, cut out cookie rounds and transfer to prepared baking sheet(s), placing cookies ~1.5 inches apart. Gather the scrap dough, roll, and repeat until you have 24 cookie rounds.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of prepared jam in the center of each round cookies. Using your fingers fold in the sides, slightly overlapping the filling, to form a triangle so that each side of the cookie has a corner that folds over and a corner that folds under. Pinch the corners together neatly so that they form a point. Place cookie sheets into the refrigerator for 20 minutes to chill. Preheat oven 350°F while cookies chill.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake cookies for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool completely.