Butternut squash is the perfect base for a hearty soup. Our recipe includes chopped tart green apple, which lends a slight tang and natural sweetness for even more deliciousness in every spoonful.
Ingredients (Serves 8):
- 1 ½ lbs. butternut squash, peeled and chopped, seeds discarded (about 4 cups)
- 2 tart green apples, peeled, cored, chopped (squash and apple ratio should be 3:1)
- 1 carrot, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 celery hearts, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups fat free vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Chop butternut squash, apple, carrot, celery, and onion into ½-inch dice to allow vegetables to cook more quickly and evenly.
- Heat a large thick-bottomed pot on medium-high heat. Heat oil in a pot until it shimmers. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and sauté for 5 minutes. Lower the heat if the vegetables begin to brown.
- Add the butternut squash, apple, broth and water. Bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes or so, until the squash and carrots have softened.
- Use an immersion blender to purée the soup.
- Add pinches of nutmeg, cinnamon, cayenne, and smoked paprika Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, microgreens or chives.
THE F-FACTOR DIET NUTRITIONAL CONTENT FOR JOURNALING: 13g carbohydrate, 3g fiber
ACTUAL NUTRITIONAL CONTENT PER SERVING (serves 8): 87 calories, 2g protein, 17g carb, 3g fiber, 14g net carb, 8g sugar, 2g fat, 1285mg sodium