Created for Well and Good’s Cook With Us series, this vegetarian sauce recipe can be made in less than 30 minutes! Serve over whole-wheat pasta (pictured above), zoodles, or hearts of palm noodles. To make vegan, skip parmesan cheese. To kick up the heat, garnish with chili flakes. For a video tutorial of this recipe, watch Tanya Zuckerbrot on Well and Good’s Cook with Us here.
INGREDIENTS (serves 8):
- 12 oz shiitake or Cremini mushrooms (stems removed)
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 3 cups riced cauliflower
- Pulse mushrooms in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Place a large dutch oven over medium-high heat and add oil to heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally until golden brown. Add onion, celery, carrots and cook until onions are golden brown. Add garlic stirring occasionally until softened.
- Add red wine and cook until all the alcohol has evaporated.
- Add Cauliflower and cook until softened (approximately 5 min).
- Add tomato paste and cook until slightly darkened.
- Add crushed tomato, oregano, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Uncover sauce, add almond milk and stir to combine. Stir in parmesan cheese.
- Remove from heat and serve as desired.