The first step to a high-protein, NO CARB, cauliflower pizza is a good cauliflower crust. Follow the instructions below to make your crust and then top as desired.
INGREDIENTS (serves 4):
- 1 small to medium sized cauliflower head, washed and throughly dried, or 2-3 cups riced cauliflower
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 450°F and place pizza stone in the oven. If you don’t have a pizza stone, grab a baking sheet and set aside.
- On a cutting board, place a large piece of parchment paper and spray it with nonstick cooking oil.
- Wash and thoroughly dry a small head of cauliflower. Cut off the florets and rice cauliflower with a cheese grater or place in a food processor. Pulse for about 30 seconds, until you get powdery snow like cauliflower. You should end up with 2 to 3 cups cauliflower “snow”.
- Place the riced cauliflower “snow” in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 2-3 minutes.
- Dump cooked cauliflower onto a clean tea towel and allow to cool for a bit before attempting the next step. Once cauliflower is cool enough to handle, wrap it up in the dish towel and wring it. You want to squeeze out as much water as possible. This will ensure you get a chewy pizza like crust instead of a crumbly mess. (Alternatively, you can place the steamed cauliflower in a colander and push down on it with a towel to get the water out.)
- Place cauliflower into a bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well until a “dough” is formed.
- Use your hands to form the dough into a crust on your oiled parchment paper. Pat it down into a thin circle.
- Slide the parchment paper onto your hot pizza stone in the oven. If using a baking sheet, slide parchment paper onto that and place in oven. Bake for 8 – 11 minutes, until it starts to turn golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Top pizza as desired (see topping suggestions below) and place back in oven for an additional 5-7 minutes. To create a regular cheese pizza, spoon pizza or marinara sauce, top with shredded low-fat Mozzarella cheese and place back into oven to bake for an additional 5-7 minutes, until cheese is melted.