Grab the tequila, we’re having a fiesta because this recipe rehab is e-x-quisite! Traditionally-prepared, enchiladas are a rather heavy, fiber-less dish of corn tortillas with a savory filling, smothered in a chili pepper sauce and baked. The tortillas, the carb-component, are the main culprit at play making it a carb-heavy dish. Here we recreate the “tortilla” with F-Factor 20/20 Fiber/ Protein powder and it absolutely does the trick, bringing up the fiber 12g per serving. Now that’s #FFACTORAPPROVED!
INGREDIENTS (serves 6):
ENCHILADA SAUCE: “TORTILLAS”: GARNISHES
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Coat a small pan with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeño and sauté until soft (about 5 minutes). Set aside for filling.
- Place chicken breasts on parchment paper lined pan and bake in oven for 45 minutes or until middle of chicken is fully cooked. Set aside and let cool.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare the enchilada sauce. Add coconut oil to a medium saucepan and place over medium-low heat. Once coconut oil is hot, add coconut flour and sauce spices, continually stirring with spatula or spoon to toast the spices (this will create a thick paste). After about one minute, add tomato paste, and cook for another minute. Whisk in vegetable stock, continually mixing to remove any lumps. Allow mixture to simmer. Cook, whisking often, for about 7 minutes, until sauce has thickened. Turn off heat, add vinegar, and set aside to cool (sauce will continue to thicken).
- Shred chicken breasts to small pieces and place in a bowl with sautéed onions and jalapeños, and half of the enchilada sauce. Set aside.
- Make the “tortillas”. Whisking all tortilla ingredients together in a bowl. Coat a 12-inch nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup of batter to pan and swirl to cover the bottom of the skillet. Cook until golden brown (3-4 minutes) and flip with a large spatula. Cook for another minute and remove from pan. Continue this process to make 6 tortillas. Set aside.
- Take a 10X15 baking dish and pour half of the remaining enchilada sauce along the bottom.
- Assemble enchiladas by taking each “tortilla” and spreading 1 tablespoon of refried black beans, 3 tablespoons of chicken mixture and a tsp of cheddar cheese. Roll them up and place each enchilada in a row atop the enchilada sauce in the prepared baking dish.
- Top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheddar cheese and place into the oven for 30 minutes or until cheese is completely melted. Additionally, you can broil for 3 minutes to get the top crispy and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and top with fresh jalapeño, cilantro, and tomato.
[box]THE F-FACTOR DIET NUTRITIONAL CONTENT FOR JOURNALING: 18g carbohydrate, 12g fiber
ACTUAL NUTRITIONAL CONTENT PER SERVING (serves 6): 357 calories, 42g protein, 23g carb, 12g fiber, 11g net carb, 12g fat, 9g sat fat, 917mg sodium[/box]