A summertime fan-favorite. Shown here with grilled chicken but this salad works great served with grilled shrimp, ahi tuna or steak as well. Note: Because of the edamame, this salad would be considered a Step 2 dish. To make this salad a Step 1 dish, simply leave out the edamame–still delicious and gorgeous either way!
INGREDNIENTS (serves 10):
- Create salad base: Cut napa cabbage in half, lengthwise and shred finely. Place in large bowl. Shred purple cabbage and add to bowl. Drain water chestnuts and add half to bowl. Toss.
- Add remaining water chestnuts, sliced scallions, red bell pepper, cilantro, carrots and shelled edamame atop cabbage and chestnuts (shown here in a sundial pattern).
- Prepare crunchy topping: Take package of ramen noodles and before opening, place on a hard surface and using the heel of your hand to break noodles into small pieces. Once the pieces are broken-up, coat a nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add the broken up ramen to the skillet along with the seasoning packet that comes with it. Stir in 1/4 cup slivered almonds. Add seasoning packet. Stir for approximately 3 minutes until noodles and almonds are slightly toasted. Don’t walk away while this is cooking, burns quickly. Add sesame seeds and toast for 1 minute. Remove crunchy topping from heat and set aside to cool.
- Slice grilled chicken and add to bowl.
- Spoon cooled crunchy topping atop salad.
- Prepare dressing by adding all dressing ingredients to a small bowl and whisking to combine.
- Pour prepared dressing over salad. Serve as is, or toss until all ingredients are well coated.