Corned Beef & Cabbage is the quintessential St. Patrick’s Day dish – but a recipe this easy to make and this good can (and should!) be enjoyed year-round. Recipe below is made with an Instant Pot, but any programmable pressure cooker will do. To make with a Crockpot or other slow cooker, follow directions below, but allow brisket to cook for on high for ~4.5 hours, or until beef is tender; add cabbage atop and cook for an additional 45 minutes.
INGREDIENTS (serves 8):
- Add garlic, onion, carrots, and celery to the bowl of your Instant Pot (or other programmable pressure cooker – if using a Crockpot or slow cooker, see instructions below image above). Place corned beef over the vegetables and season generously with salt, pepper, and pickling spices. Sprinkle thyme and bay leaves atop seasoned meat.
- Add water to the Instant Pot bowl until the meat is almost completely covered, ~4-5 cups water.
- Set device to the meat/stew setting if there is one, if not, just set to high heat. Cook on high for 90 minutes, or until meat is tender. Remove meat and set aside.
- Without discarding liquid add cabbage to the bowl and cook on high pressure for 5-10 minutes, until cabbage is tender and cooked through. Remove vegetables from device.
- Slice corned beef and serve with cooked vegetables.