This recipe works great made in a pressure cooker, like an Instant Pot. To use pressure cooker, complete steps 1-4 on the sauté setting, and at step 5 turn on for 5 minutes. No pressure cooker? No pressure! Stovetop directions below.
INGREDIENTS (serves 4):
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 tsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 (14.5) oz can diced tomato
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 small cauliflower head, cut into small pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 5 oz fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup fat free half and half
- Coat a large nonstick skillet or pot with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add diced onions and sauté until soft. Add minced garlic and stir for one minute.
- Reduce heat to low and add cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, chili powder, curry powder, and coriander. Stir for one minute to toast spices.
- Add tomato paste and allow to cook for another minute.
- Add the can of diced tomato and scrape bottom of pan with a wooden spoon to get all the spices mixed into the dish.
- Add chicken, cauliflower, salt and pepper, and reduce heat to simmer on low for 30-45 minutes. If you are using a pressure cooker, this is where you will turn on for 5 minutes.
- Stir in spinach, peas, cilantro, and half and half. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and serve over miracle rice, or enjoy on its own.
THE F-FACTOR DIET NUTRITIONAL CONTENT FOR JOURNALING: 9g carbohydrate, 7g fiber
ACTUAL NUTRITIONAL CONTENT PER SERVING (serves 4): 249 calories, 25g protein, 21g carb, 7g fiber, 8g sugar, 3g fat, 843mg sodium