INGREDIENTS (serves 4):
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium (8-oz) onion, chopped (~1 cup diced onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 sprigs of thyme, stems removed
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Place a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat. Once pot has heated, add oil and chopped onion to cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender (about 4 minutes).
- Add garlic, thyme and oregano to pot to cook with the onion. Season with salt and pepper and stir occasionally until garlic and seasonings become fragrant (about 3 minutes).
- Add vegetable broth and beans, cover and increase heat to high to bring to boil (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in escarole and cook until leaves are just wilted, about 1-2 minute. Reduce heat and add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and serve. Garnish with parmesan cheese or as desired.