Homemade soups, like this one, are a great opportunity to fill up on a nutritious blend of vegetables, beans and lean protein. This soup actually tastes better the second day, when the flavors have had a chance to develop.
INGREDIENTS (serves 12):
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 8 oz. chicken tenders, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 14.5-oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Coat a large pot with cooking spray and heat on high heat. Sautee the onion until soft. Add the carrots, celery, mushroom and chicken. Sautee for a few minutes, until chicken is lightly browned.
- Add lentils, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, chicken broth, spices, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
Steps 2, 3
THE F-FACTOR DIET NUTRITIONAL CONTENT FOR JOURNALING: 15g Carbohydrate, 8g Fiber
ACTUAL NUTRITIONAL CONTENT PER SERVING (serves 12): 145 Calories, 22g Carbohydrate, 8g Fiber, 13g Protein, 1g Total Fat, 0g Sat. Fat, 591mg Sodium
Subscribe free to The F-Factor Weekly for great product tips, nutrition news you can use, diet-friendly recipes, and new restaurant reviews.