French Onion Soup is one of the most popular soups there is, and luckily it’s one of the easiest to prepare. The rich broth is complimented perfectly by the sweetness of the caramelized onions—and if you add melted cheese, WOWZAS!*
INGREDIENTS (serves 4):
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 10 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 450°F. In a large Dutch oven, add oil, onions, 1 tablespoon water, thyme and ground pepper. Cover and bake for 30 minutes until the onions are soft and starting to turn brown.
- Uncover and continue to cook for another 30 minutes or so, until the onions are golden brown and caramelized.
- Transfer Dutch oven to the stove and turn burner to medium heat. Add the wine and scrape the bottom and sides of pan to release any browned parts.
- Continue to cook until mixture is slightly thickened. Add broth and vinegar. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the liquid has darkened.
- Remove from heat and serve.