We know green bean casserole is a Thanksgiving staple, so we don’t want you to get rid of it! As our gift to you – enjoy this delicious, healthier version!
INGREDIENTS (serves 6):
- 1 (14-oz) bag of frozen whole green beans (or about 4 cups fresh)
- 1 (8-oz) package of mushrooms, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, chopped
- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 packet Stevia (or other nonnutritive sweetener)
- 1 Tbsp minced dried onion
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup coarse wheat bran
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a large baking dish with cooking spray, and set aside.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Sauté the onions, garlic, and mushrooms in 1/2 cup water, stirring occasionally until the water is completely evaporated. Remove onions and mushrooms from pan and place in a medium bowl to cool to room temperature.
- If using frozen green beans, thaw green beans in microwave according to package directions. If using fresh, trim the ends and place beans in a large pot of boiling water for about 5 minutes, or until tender, drain and immediately transfer beans to ice water bath to stop the cooking process.
- Add cooled green beans to mushroom and onion mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix Greek yogurt, cornstarch, salt, black pepper and stevia together, whisking until smooth. Add sauce to green beans and toss until vegetables are well coated. Pour in to prepared baking dish.
- Mix topping ingredients in a small bowl, and sprinkle evenly over the top. Bake (uncovered) 35 to 40 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Serve warm.
COMPARE WITH TRADITIONAL GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE (1 1-cup serving): 220 calories, 8g protein, 24g carb, 4g fiber, 4g sugar, 10g fat, 759 mg sodium NUTRITIONAL CONTENT PER SERVING Serves 6
COMPARE WITH TRADITIONAL GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE (1 1-cup serving): 220 calories, 8g protein, 24g carb, 4g fiber, 4g sugar, 10g fat, 759 mg sodium