Its Latke season! Classic potato pancakes can be loaded with fat and calories. Instead, try our delicious lightened up version of this crispy hotcake treat.
INGREDIENTS (serves 12, 1 latke per serving):
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 Tbs + 6 tsp canola oil
- 4 cups zucchini, grated
- 1 medium baking potato, grated
- 1 egg + 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/3 cup coarse wheat bran (or 2-3 GG crackers, pulverized)
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet and set aside.
- Finely chop onion and heat 1/2 Tbsp oil in a heavy nonstick saucepan. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes. Add zucchini and sauté another 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Coarsely grate potatoes into a mixing bowl, squeeze out excess liquid. Mix in sautéed veggies, eggs, wheat bran, parsley, oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper and red pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Drop 12 spoonfuls of mixture onto prepared baking sheet. Smooth tops lightly (press with hand or back of spoon) and spoon 1/2 tsp oil over each.
- Place in oven to bake for 15 minutes, or until crisp and edges browning. Remove from oven, flip pancakes and place back in to cook for an additional 10-15 minutes or until pancakes are firm and browned at edges.
- Bake about 45 minutes, or until firm, crisp and golden brown. Serve immediately.