Its Latke season! Classic potato pancakes can be loaded with fat and calories! Try our delicious lightened up version of this crispy hotcake treat. Bonus: Not only are they full of protein and fiber, your portion size will be in check with the help of the muffin tin!
INGREDIENTS (serves 12, 1 latke per serving):
- 1 medium onion
- 1/2 Tbs + 6 tsp canola oil
- 4 cups zucchini, grated
- 1 medium baking potato, grated
- 1 egg + 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/3 cup coarse wheat bran (or 2-3 GG crackers, pulverized)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Finely chop onion and heat 1/2 Tbsp oil in a heavy nonstick saucepan. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes. Add zucchini and sauté another 5 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Coarsely grate potatoes into a mixing bowl, squeeze out excess liquid. Mix in sautéed veggies, eggs, cracker crumbs, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Spray a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray and pour 1/3 cup vegetable mixture in each muffin tin. Smooth tops lightly and spoon 1/2 tsp oil over each.
- Bake about 45 minutes, or until firm and browned at the edges. Remove from oven and run a small spatula or knife around edges of latkes to release them.