Pump up the jam, pump it up—with chia seeds!
Most jams and jellies are loaded with TONS of added sugars. But this jam is the JAM: chia seeds serve as the gelling agent to give the fruit a jam-like consistency without additional sugars, and give it a boost of fiber, protein, and Omega-3s too! This jam is also vegan, gluten-free, and super easy to make! Jam on!
INGREDIENTS (serves 10):
- 2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries, washed and chopped
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 Tbsp stevia, or other nonnutritive sweetener
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds
- Place a saucepan over medium heat and add chopped strawberries to cook until they begin to break down, for about 10 minutes.
- Take the back of a spoon, spatula or potato masher and mash fruit to desired consistency. For a smoother jam you could also use a hand mixer or immersion blender.
- Remove from heat and add the lemon juice, and sweetener, mixing to combine. Taste and add additional lemon juice and sweetener to taste.
- Stir in chia seeds and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Once cooled, spoon mixture into mason jar or other container with lid and place in fridge overnight for the chia seeds to gel the fruit into a jam consistency. For a thicker jam, stir in more chia seeds, 1 tsp at a time.
- Store jam in fridge for up to 2 weeks.