In addition to the food being served, be adventurous with your holiday drink! Treat guests to warm, homemade mulled wine that is enhanced with fruits and spices instead of sugar.
*To make this recipe you will need an empty tea satchel for the spices. As an alternative, whole spices can be substituted for the ground spices: tie spices together in cheesecloth or use a stainless steel tea infuser.*
INGREDIENTS (serves 12):
- 1 (1.5-liter) bottle of dry red wine
- Zest from 1 lemon
- Zest from 1 orange
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 1⁄2 Tbsp cloves
- Pour wine into large saucepan. Add lemon and orange zest to the wine and cook over low heat.
- Place the spices into an empty tea satchel. Put the satchel into the saucepan and brew the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Add sweetener of your choice to taste.
- Pour the wine through a strainer and serve in heatproof glasses. Garnish each glass with a sliced orange or cinnamon stick.