INGREDIENTS (serves 6):
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 large cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 4 cups all-natural chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 large heads broccoli
- Coat a large Dutch oven with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat to heat. Add the chopped onions to cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown (about 8 minutes).
- Add the garlic, celery, salt and pepper to begin to cook, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes add broth and water. Cover and increase heat to high to bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add broccoli and cauliflower.
- Reduce heat to medium, add parsley and parmesan cheese. Cover and allow to simmer until broccoli and cauliflower are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Once broccoli and cauliflower are tender, remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, puree soup carefully until smooth. If you do not have an immersion blender, puree small batches in a blender, then return to pot.
- Return pot to heat and allow soup to simmer for 20-30 minutes. Stir in additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls to serve. Garnish with chopped parsley/ scallions, grated parmesan cheese, and additional salt and pepper, as desired.