A Hanukkah tradition! Made with carrots and potato, Tanya’s tasty Hanukkah latkes are the perfect #FFACTORAPPROVED way to kick off the Festival of Lights.
INGREDIENTS (serves 6):
- 1 (24-oz) bag shredded potatoes for hash browns
- 1 large carrot, peeled
- 1 medium onion, peeled
- 4 egg whites, beaten
- 2 tsp salt
- Place potatoes in a large bowl. Using a hand grater, grate the carrot and onion into the bowl. Add eggs to the bowl. Add salt and baking powder, then sprinkle
in meal or flour. Combine vegetables and meal with a wooden spoon.
- Prepare cinnamon apple sauce: put chunky applesauce and the cinnamon stick in a saucepan over medium heat and warm for 3 to 4 minutes.
- While apple sauce cooks, heat 1/2-inch oil in a large skillet over medium to medium high heat. To test oil, add a piece of bread to the pan. It should turn golden brown in a ten-count. Adjust heat, as necessary.
- Drop potato mixture into oil in 3-inch mounds, press down gently with spatula to form patties. Fry in batches of 4 to 6 patties depending on the size of your skillet, 1-inch apart, until golden, about 3 minutes on each side. Drain latkes on paper towels or parchment lined tray.
- Repeat step 4 until all latke batter is used, should yield 12 latkes. Serve with warm applesauce.