INGREDIENTS (serves 8):
- 2 large eggplants, diced into 2 inch cubes
- Kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 zucchini, halved and sliced into 2 inch half moon
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped into 2 inch piece
- 2 whole tomato, diced
- Place cubed eggplant into a bowl and liberally sprinkle with kosher salt. Toss. Let sit for 30 minutes and squeeze out any moisture. Note: this step is optional but it does help to remove some of the eggplant’s bitterness.
- Place a large stock pot over medium heat and add oil to heat.
- Add onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté for two minutes.
- Add eggplant, zucchini, red peppers, tomato, mushroom. Sauté for 3 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add crushed tomato, tomato paste, and seasonings. Bring mixture a boil.
- Lower heat and cover. Simmer for one hour.
- Remove from heat and serve.