Traditional Shepherd’s Pie is made with red meat, like beef, but feel free to swap lean ground beef for ground turkey. Either way, this hearty dish is sure to please!
INGREDIENTS (serves 8):
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 4 stalks celery
- 1 (12 oz) bag frozen peas and carrots
- 1 Tbsp Tomato paste
- 1/4 cup white cooking wine
- salt and pepper
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup chicken stock (1/4 for the cauliflower mash, and 1/2 for the beef mixture)
- Preheat oven to 375°F degrees. Coat a pan with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 5 minutes, or until soft.
- Add garlic, celery, frozen peas and carrots and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir into the vegetables.
- Add cooking wine and reduce heat to simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Once most of the wine has cooked out, pour mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- Add ground beef to a pan and place on medium heat to cook throughly. Once meat is cooked though, pour vegetable mixture back into pan with 1/2 cup of chicken stock, thyme, rosemary, Worcestershire, paprika, red pepper flakes, and xantham gum. Reduce heat to low and allow mixture to simmer for 15-20 minutes. If the mixture gets too thick, add more chicken stock. Add additional salt and pepper, to taste. After 15-20 minutes, remove from heat and set aside.
- While mixture is simmering, bring a pot of water to a boil. Once boiling, add cauliflower florets. Cook until cauliflower florets are soft, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain cauliflower and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Once cooled, add coked cauliflower and remaining chicken stock to blender and pulse until well combined. If you have a smaller blender you may have to do this twice, with half the cauliflower and chicken stock each time. Once blended, put into a bowl and season with salt, pepper, and mix in the Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Add meat mixture to a 3-quart baking dish, spreading evenly to cover bottom of dish. Top meat layer with the cauliflower mash, spread evenly. Sprinkle with a little bit of graded Parmesan and bake for 30 or until top looks golden brown.
NUTRITIONAL CONTENT PER SERVING Serves 8