Vegan, vegetarian, AND virtually carb-FREE—is it a miracle? Your taste buds will surely think so—and so will your eyes: the saffron in this dish gives it the most gorgeous yellow hue and a richness of flavor that won’t disappoint. For a more rice-like shape, substitute the Miracle Rice for Better Than Foods’ Better Than Rice (1 14-oz package for the 2 Miracle Noodle Miracle Rice packages). Whichever you choose to use will provide you with miracle of a dish that’s rich in Spanish flavors but NOT carbs! ¡Olé!
Ingredients (Serves 6):
- ¼ tsp saffron threads
- 2 (8 oz.) packages Miracle Noodle Miracle Rice
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1½ cups diced fresh tomato
- 1/2 cup orange or red bell pepper, seeded, stemmed and diced
- 1/4 jalapeño pepper, seeded, stemmed and minced (optional, to taste)
- ½ tsp coriander
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp minced cilantro for garnish (optional)
- Place a few tablespoons of warm water into a small bowl and add the saffron threads to steep.
- Place Miracle Rice (or Better Than Rice) in strainer and rinse with warm water for a few minutes. Place rinsed wet rice in a separate bowl from the saffron threads and cover with paper towel to soak up excess water. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Add oil to a small Dutch oven (or other oven proof pan with a lid), and place over medium-high heat to heat.
- Add onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Lower heat to medium and add rice. Stir often for about 2 minutes.
- Add water and all other ingredients including the bowl of saffron threads with water and stir to combine.
- Cover and place in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and keep covered for five more minutes.
- Fluff with a fork, garnish with optional chopped cilantro and serve.