#MeatlessMonday got us thinking outside the box… and what do you know, Vegan Eggplant “Meatballs” were born. 😋 #FFACTORAPPROVED
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 lb eggplant (unpeeled, sliced into 1 in thick slices)
- 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 Tbs minced garlic
- 1 cup white beans (drained, rinsed)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- Pinch of red chile flakes
- Heat the oven to 375°F. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place 1/2 Tbs olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. When hot add eggplant and water. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until tender, 10-15 mins. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor.
- Add another 1/2 Tbs oil to the skillet with the onion and garlic and cook until translucent, 3-5 minutes. Add to the food processor along with the drained, rinsed white beans and fresh parsley and pulse until well combined and chopped, but not pureed.
- Combine the mixture with the whole wheat breadcrumbs and a pinch of red chile flakes. Add salt to taste then roll into 12 “meatballs”, about 2-in in diameter. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and bake until firm and browned, about 25-30 min.
- Serve with marinara sauce or plain.
Nutrition Content per serving (Serves 5): 212 calories, 7g fat, 33g carbs, 9g fiber, 8g protein