When you wanna ball out the vegetarian way…
Ingredients (serves 4):
- cooking spray
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 1/4 lbs unpeeled zucchini, grated
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp chopped basil, plus leaves for garnish
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 8 high-fiber GG cracker, pulverized into sprinkles
- 1/2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 oz (1/4 cup) grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oven to 375°F. Spray a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. When hot add the garlic and saute until golden, about 30 seconds. Add the zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook on high heat until all the water evaporates from the skillet, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a colander to get rid of any excess water, then to a large bowl along with the GG sprinkles, bread crumbs, beaten egg, cheese and chopped basil.
- Form the zucchini mixture into 16 balls about 1 oz each, rolling tightly and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Spray the top and bake until firm and browned, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Zucchini “Meatballs” pair great with a marinara sauce, like our Quick and Easy Tomato Sauce. Heat sauce over medium heat for 4 minutes. Add balls to sauce and simmer on low heat for another 5 minutes.
Nutritional content per serving (4 balls): 152 calories, 8g protein, 4g fiber, 19g carb, 6g fat