Take this delicious savory recipe 1 step further by serving with a poached or fried egg on top.
INGREDIENTS (serves 2):
- 2 medium zucchinis, spiralized
- 1 tsp salt
- egg whites of 2 whole eggs
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fine wheat bran
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- nonstick cooking spray
- Place spiralized zucchini in a microwave safe bowl and microwave, uncovered, for 1 minute. Add pinch (1/2 tsp) of salt to spirzalized zucchini and set aside to cool for 15-20 mintues, covered loosely with 1 sheet paper towel.
- Transfer spiralized zucchini to a cheese cloth or dish towel and above sink squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Set aside.
- Turn waffle maker on to heat.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the egg whites, skim milk, and parmesan cheese. Stir in the wheat bran, seasoning, remaining 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to combine. Mix well.
- Add prepared spiralized zucchini to bowl. Mixing so that zucchini strands are well coated in the mixture.
- Once waffle maker is ready, coat both sides with non stick cooking spray. Spoon mixture in and follow directions on waffle maker to cook waffle to desired doneness. Remove waffle and repeat with remaining mixture until all batter is used (should yield 2-3 waffles depending on size of waffles).
- Plate waffles and garnish with accouterments of your choosing (poached egg, sprinkle of parmesan cheese, Sriracha sauce etc).