Make ricotta-stuffed cannelloni the traditional way and sure enough you’ll be looking like a stuffed cannelloni yourself in no time. Fortunately, once again, we recipe-rehabed this dish to create something truly epic. Insanely delicious, this savory, high-fiber, low-carb “pasta” dish is sure to satisfy–your tastebuds, and your waistline. Enjoy!
INGREDIENTS (serves 6):
- Preheat oven to 350ºF .
- Coat a small pan with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium head. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add the baby spinach and cook until spinach wilts down completely. Remove from heat.
- Place the sautéed veggies in a medium bowl and add the ricotta, egg whites, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Mix to combine and set aside.
- Create your crepe batter by whisking together all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- Make crepes by coating a 12-inch nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and placing over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup of crepe batter to pan and swirl to cover the bottom of the skillet. Cook until golden brown (3-4 minutes) and flip with a large spatula. Cook for another minute and remove from pan. Continue this process to make 6 crepes. Set aside.
- Take a 10×15 baking dish and pour 1 cup of marinara sauce along bottom.
- Assemble “cannellonis” by taking each crepe and spreading 1/4 cup of the ricotta mixture in a line, lengthwise, and then rolling up. Place each cannelloni in a row atop the marinara sauce in the prepared baking dish.
- Top with remaining sauce and cheese and place in oven to bake for 30 minutes, or until cheese is completely melted. Optionally, you can broil for 3 minutes to get the top crispy and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and top with fresh basil to serve.