Taverna Kyclades? Oh no no, these puppies are homemade!
Ingredients (Serves 4-6)
- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- lemon zest
- 2 Tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice, from one lemon
- 1-3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 6-8 metal or wood skewers
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of any excess fat and cut into large bite-sized pieces
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into wedges
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into wedges
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- In a medium bowl, combine the nonfat Greek yogurt, olive oil, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper and garlic. Mix well.
- Add the chicken to the bowl to marinate. Cover and refrigerate at least eight hours or overnight.
- Thread the chicken onto skewers, folding if the pieces are long and thin, alternating with the peppers and onions (feel free to use squash, zucchini, mushrooms, or whatever other veggies tickle your fancy here). Be sure not to cram the skewers and leave space between each item. Place the kebabs on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Spoon or brush additional marinade over the meat, coating well.
- Set oven to broil or grill on medium-high heat. Grill the chicken kebabs until golden brown and cooked through, turning skewers occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer the skewers to a platter and serve.