Not a beef fan? Go meat-free by subbing in our meat-free cauliflower bolognese sauce instead!
INGREDIENTS (serves 6):
- 1 medium (~4 lb) spaghetti squash
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced (should yield 1 cup)
- 1 (1-pound) package lean ground beef
- 7 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet and coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut squash in half length-wise, scoop out seeds and discard seeds. Place squash face down on prepared baking sheet and place in oven to roast for 40 minutes
- Add oil to a large saucepan and place over medium heat. Add diced onion, celery, and carrots and sauté until soft, (about 5 minutes).
- Add ground beef and using a meat masher mash the meat into small ground pieces. Cook until crumbled and brown, draining excess liquid as necessary.
- Add garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add dry red wine and scrape the bottom of the pan. Bring the wine to a boil and cook for another 5 minutes until the wine has cooked off and the pan is dry.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, whole milk, Parmesan cheese rind, dried oregano, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Once mixture is boiling, reduce heat and simmer for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- While sauce is cooking, if squash is done, remove from oven and allow to cool.
- After sauce has cooked for 10 to 15 minutes, remove Parmesan rind and remove from heat. Stir in 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan and remove from heat.
- Once squash has cooled, flip over and with a fork start pulling the inside of the squash to the center. This will form spaghetti-like strings of squash. Continue until all spaghetti-like strands of squash has been scraped from skin. Place spaghetti squash in bowl(s) and discard skin.
- Plate spaghetti squash. Top with prepared bolognese sauce. Garnish with additional parmesan cheese and fresh parsley as desired.