Say so long to store-bought snack foods by swapping in these delicious spiced garbanzo beans. Originally posted by Splenda Sweet Swaps.
INGREDIENTS (serves 6):
- 1 (15-ounce) can chick peas (garbanzos)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener or SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a large baking sheet with a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In a large strainer, rinse and drain the chickpeas very well to remove the starch.
- Spread the chickpeas out onto prepared baking sheet and pat until very dry. The drier the chickpeas, the crunchier they will be. The skin of the bean may peel off as you pat them dry and that is okay. You may remove the skins or leave them on.
- Once 100% dry, place chickpeas into the oven and roast for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove from the oven and drizzle with olive oil. Using a large spoon or spatula, mix the beans around to make sure they are all evenly coated. Mix the SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener or SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend, cinnamon and chili powder together and sprinkle over beans.
- Mix around very well to heavily coat each bean. The beans will be flavorless, so you want to make sure each one is thoroughly coated. Add more seasoning if you like.
- Place back into the oven and roast for another 15 minutes.
#TanyaTip: For Crunchier Chickpeas: Leave the chickpeas inside, turn the oven off and crack open the door slightly. Allow the chickpeas to sit inside as the oven cools down for 30 minutes.
Chickpeas are crunchiest eaten on Day 1. Otherwise, store at room temperature.
THE F-FACTOR DIET NUTRITIONAL CONTENT FOR JOURNALING: 25g carbohydrates, 2g fiber
ACTUAL NUTRITIONAL CONTENT PER SERVING (serves 12, per serving 2.5 oz): 305 calories, 25g total carbohydrates, 2g fiber, 17g protein, 14g total fat, 0.5g saturated fat, 150mg sodium, calories from fat 36, 0mg cholesterol, 0g total sugar